This Instant Pot Beef Pot Roast is exceptionally tender and boldly flavorful. We add potatoes and carrots to make it an easy meal-in-one. Serve with noodles, rice, or rustic bread.
3 1/2 – 4 lbs boneless chuck beef roast
4 TB olive oil
1 large onion, quartered and roughly sliced
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 TB tomato paste
2 tsp soy sauce
3 cups regular strength beef broth
6 carrots, peeled/sliced into 1-inch pieces
6 stalks celery, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled/sliced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 TB corn starch fully dissolved in 3 TB water
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim a bit of excess fat, but leave most of it for tenderness. Use paper towels to pat-dry beef thoroughly. Slice beef roast into 8 even sized pieces. Sprinkle sides of beef with a light layer of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, pressing down to adhere seasoning to the meat.
- In the inner pot of Instant Pot, add 2 TB oil over sauté mode. Once oil is hot, brown half the beef pieces on all sides. Remove from pot and repeat with remaining half of beef pieces. Add back all browned beef.
- Add garlic, onion, bay leaves, tomato paste, soy sauce, and beef broth. Switch setting to Pressure Cook on High, and set for 1 hour cook time (be sure vent is turned to correct position.) After 1 hour, do a manual Quick Release, and add carrots, celery, and potatoes. Stir them into the beef mixture, close lid tightly, and set to pressure cook for 5 more minutes. Do a manual Quick Release and transfer meat, vegetables, and potatoes to a large serving dish and keep warm, while leaving the sauce/liquid in the pot. Skim fat off top of sauce.
- Turn on Sauté mode to bring gravy/sauce to a gentle boil. Gradually stir in fully dissolved cornstarch (must be completely dissolved in water, without any trace of white streaks left) and stir until sauce thickens into a gravy-like consistency. Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour gravy over pot roast, vegetables, and potatoes (remember to remove bay leaves.) Serve with buttered noodles, fluffy rice, or rustic bread.
If you’d prefer to serve pot roast directly out of the Instant Pot: after thickening the gravy, add back the beef/potato mixture into the pot and gently fold to coat with gravy. Keep Instant Pot on Warm Mode.
For slow Crock Pot version, see recipe for Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Gravy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
Keywords: Instant Pot Beef Pot Roast, Pressure Cooker Pot Roast