This Lemon Basil Orzo with Chicken is quick, easy, and absolutely scrumptious. It’s the ultimate spring-summer dinner; light yet incredibly tasty. It’s an instant hit you can count on.
- 1/2 lb dry orzo pasta
- 2 lbs chicken breast tenders
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 TB salted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly torn basil leaves
- Garnish: Lemon wedges, more parmesan, extra basil leaves
- In a pot of generously salted water, cook orzo just until al dente; don’t overcook. Drain and toss with about 2 TB olive oil to prevent sticking. Keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking: pat dry the moisture from chicken tenders with paper towels. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder. Sprinkle evenly on both sides of chicken pieces.
- In a large skillet (not non-stick) add 4 TB olive oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot, cook chicken tenders just until no longer pink in center, about 2-3 min per side (depending on thickness of chicken.) Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- In same used skillet, add the butter over medium high heat. Once melted, add garlic and onion, stirring 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add wine; deglaze pan by scraping bits loose with your spatula while the liquid cooks. Reduce liquid by half, about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and turn off heat. Add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp each.)
- Place cooked orzo in a large serving bowl; toss with freshly grated parmesan and onion/garlic mixture. Toss in basil leaves. Serve with chicken and garnish as desired.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: main, dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian