This Lentil Black Bean Chili is a fabulous meatless chili; it’s hearty, full of flavor, and so delicious you won’t even miss the meat. Serve with cheese and tortilla chips for a cozy, comforting, and satisfying meal.
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–4 tsp chili powder, depending on desired heat level
- 1 TB smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cumin
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth (plus extra)
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 2 (14-oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cans (15-oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-oz) sweet corn kernels, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: sliced avocado, shredded sharp cheddar, tortilla chips for serving
- In a Dutch oven or heavy large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; stir 1-2 min. Add chili powder, smoked paprika, sugar, allspice, and cumin. Stir and cook 1 min. Add broth, lentils, tomato paste, and fire-roasted tomatoes with juices. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer 30 min.
- Add black beans, corn, and cover. Continue simmer 20 more min or until lentils are tender and mixture has thickened. If lentils have soaked up most of the liquid, add a bit more broth for your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and your choice of garnishes. Sweet cornbread is delicious with this chili.
If you love cumin, feel free to add another teaspoon. It gives chili that aromatic, earthy flavor.
Though regular paprika can be used in a pinch, Smoked Paprika is preferred, as it is deeper and richer in flavor.
Fire roasted tomatoes lend depth of flavor and are highly recommended. If you cannot find it at your store, you can use seasoned diced tomatoes as an alternative.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating 🙂
- Category: Dinner, main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lentil Chili, Lentil Soup, Lentil Black Bean Chili