Lomo Saltado is a scrumptious Peruvian dish that is loaded with big, bold flavors. The genius combination of lean tender beef, garlic, tomatoes, and herbs make this one of the most popular Peruvian dishes ever. Lomo Saltado is typically served with crispy fries and fluffy rice.
For the Sauce:
- 4–6 TB aji amarillo paste, depending on desired spice level
- 1/2 cup regular strength soy sauce (Tamari soy sauce for gluten-free)
- 3 TB red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp ground cumin
For the Stir-Fry:
- 1.5 lbs boneless New York or Ribeye steak, trimmed
- 7 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large, ripe roma or plum tomatoes, sliced into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Olive oil for cooking
- 4 cups freshly fried or baked french fries
- Cooked rice (fluffy white variety like Jasmine works well)
- Make the Sauce: In a bowl, combine the Sauce ingredients and gently whisk to incorporate well. Divide sauce in half. Set aside.
- Use paper towels to pat dry steaks, removing excess moisture. Marinade the beef in half of your prepared sauce. (Reserve the other half of sauce.) Let beef marinade 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temp. When done, remove steaks from marinade, but keep the marinade sauce.
- Heat up outdoor grill or indoor grill pan on medium-high heat, with enough oil to thinly coat grill. Once oil is hot, grill steaks to medium done. Let steaks rest 5 minutes on cutting board; slice thinly and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, add 3 TB olive oil. Heat on medium-high until oil is hot. Add onion and garlic, stirring for 2-3 minutes until softened and somewhat browned. Add the marinade sauce and the remaining reserved sauce (use all the sauce there is.) Stir to coat well. Add tomatoes with juices and stir 2 more minutes until heated through and softened. The mixture should be gently bubbling at this point.
- Add the grilled beef slices to the pan, gently stirring just until beef is warmed through. Sprinkle in the cilantro. Serve immediately over freshly cooked fries and rice.
For Optional Creamy Green Sauce (make-ahead):
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, packed
- 1–2 medium jalapeños, seeds carefully removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup real mayonnaise
In a blender, purée cilantro, jalapeños, garlic, oil, lime juice, and salt until well incorporated. Add mayonnaise and blend just enough to combine well. Use rubber spatula to transfer to a container with cover. Chill until ready to use.
- Category: Main, Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Peruvian
Keywords: Lomo Saltado, Peruvian Stir-fry