This Maui BBQ Chicken is marinated overnight in a sweet and savory sauce. Then, it’s grilled to tender perfection. Serve with rice or mac salad for a delicious Hawaiian style meal.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece (about 1-inch) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup regular strength soy sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB Asian sesame oil
- table salt
- 8–10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (thighs are recommended for flavor and tenderness)
- Optional: freshly chopped green onions or cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the onion, garlic, ginger, pineapple juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and Asian sesame oil. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and marinade is well incorporated.
- Use paper towels to thoroughly pat-dry the chicken pieces. Place chicken in a single layer on a cutting board, place a sheet of cling wrap over the chicken, and pound to an even thickness. Throw out cling wrap. Use a fork to pierce chicken pieces throughout. Lightly sprinkle chicken thighs on both sides with table salt.
- Place chicken in bowl of marinade. Toss to completely coat chicken pieces with marinade. Cover and chill overnight, or up to 2 nights. Be sure to turn chicken pieces over halfway through, if all pieces aren’t completely immersed in marinade.
- Oil and heat grill to medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade and grill (basting with marinade as desired) just until center is no longer pink, taking care not to over-cook. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped green onions or cilantro as desired.
I like to make extra marinade to freeze for future use. Just be sure to place in a freezer proof container and lay cling wrap directly over the marinade to avoid freezer burn. It’s an easy way to have a delicious marinade at the ready!
This dish is fantastic with Hawaiian Mac Salad!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: main, dinner