This Mexican Rice with Chicken and Shrimp is easy, flavorful, and comes together in an hour. Delicious for weeknights or weekends with family and friends.
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder (or crushed cube)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups (32 oz) hot chicken broth
- 1 green and 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, deveined large shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
- In a small bowl, combine first 9 ingredients to make seasoning mix. Use fork to whisk seasoning mix well and set aside.
- Heat oil in large heavy pan or pot. Add onions and chicken, cooking just until chicken is partly cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir well. Add entire small bowl of seasoning mix, stirring well.
- Add tomatoes with juices and chicken stock. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, keeping lid tightly closed (no peeking.)
- Add in diced peppers and shrimp, stirring into the rice mixture (if necessary, add a bit of water.) Cover and simmer another 5 minutes, or until shrimp just turns opaque. Liquid should be pretty much absorbed by rice.
- Serve warm, and garnish with cilantro.