This Mini Pumpkin Churros recipe is from Bobby Flay’s newest cookbook release, Brunch @ Bobby’s. Just in time for fall! It’s the perfect afternoon or weekend treat for grown-ups and kids alike!
- For Churros:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Special equipment: Pastry bag with large star tip
- Make the Cinnamon Sugar Coating: In a bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon until well combined. Transfer mixture to a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Make the Churros: Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Bring 1 1/2 cups water, the pumpkin puree, butter and vanilla to a boil in a medium saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined; it will be thick. Continue mixing and add in your eggs, one at a time, until well combined. The dough should be thick and smooth, able to cling to spoon. If your dough is too runny, add more flour until it reaches a thick pudding consistency. Place the dough into a pastry bag with a large star tip.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a high-sided large pan until it reaches 350F on a thermometer.
- Pipe the dough directly into the pan in 3-inch pieces, cutting off the pieces with a scissor. Fry until golden and crispy, turning as needed, about 3-4 min. (This part takes a bit of practice, but if you don’t mind a few curvy-looking churros, you’re all set!)
- Transfer the churros to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain the oil. Transfer drained churros to baking sheet with the cinnamon-sugar mixture, tossing to coat well.
- Serve immediately, while still crispy and warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: snacks, dessert