These sweet little hand pies are perfect for making into any shapes to suit the occasion, any time of year. This is our favorite crust – flaky, buttery, and tender yet crisp. If you’re low on time, you can sub for store-bought double pie crust.
- The amounts are approximates, as it depends on the shape/size of your pies.
- 1 recipe for double pie crust (Follow directions for crust portion)
- 1 jar Nutella (I use a 26 oz jar, but smaller jar is ok)
- 1 jar pure strawberry preserves
- 8–10 ripe strawberries, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- coarse sugar for garnish
- Roll out half of the chilled pie dough to 1/8 in thick, on a lightly floured surface. (keep other half in the fridge while you work.)
- Using cookie cutter, cut out desired shapes. Alternatively, use a knife to cut dough into squares or rectangles. Continue re-rolling dough scraps until first half of the dough is used up.
- Spoon 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Nutella onto bottom crust of hand pies. Spoon 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chopped strawberries over the Nutella. Dollop 1/4 to 1/2 tsp strawberry preserves on top. Keep in mind that the more filling you put, the trickier it may be to seal the crust together.
- Place top crusts on hand pies, and take care to seal them tightly. Use a fork to press down hard on edges to finish the seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut little slits over the tops of hand pies. Brush each pie with beaten egg, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Gently place pies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining half of pie dough.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, or just until tops are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving.