These Olive, Bacon, and Watercress Sandwiches are creamy, tasty, and keep well. Perfect for make-ahead party food. Cut into finger sandwiches for parties, showers, and potlucks.
- 2 (8oz) packages regular cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh watercress
- 2 cups sliced black olives
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- salted butter, softened, for spreading
- good quality white or wheat bread
- To make the filling, combine the cream cheese, watercress, olives, and bacon, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Stir to fully incorporate. Add salt/pepper to taste, if needed. Cover tightly and chill until ready to spread.
- To make the sandwiches, spread a thin layer of softened butter on bread slices. Spread desired amount of olive/cream cheese filling onto half the bread slices, leaving a bit of the edges without filling. Top with remaining bread slices to make a sandwich. Slice off crusts.
- If serving immediately, cut into triangles (or desired shapes) and arrange on a platter. If serving later, wrap each sandwich tightly with cling wrap and cut into shapes just before serving.
- *Note: Make it meatless by omitting bacon. Filling may be prepared up to 2-3 days in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. Completed sandwiches may be wrapped tightly and chilled until ready to serve. Cut until shapes just before serving.