This Omega-3 Chocolate Cake is rich, moist, and densely chocolatey. It’s healthy yet indulgent. Perfect for dessert with frosting and ice cream. Wonderful for breakfast, plain, with a cup of coffee. The cake is even better the next day.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 cup whole flax meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp table salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat to 350F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. To the same bowl, add eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat just until smooth.
- Slowly add water and beat just until smooth. Pour batter into greased/floured Bundt pan.
- bake for 40-43 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean, with a few tender crumbs attached.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack. Once cake is completely cooled, carefully use a thin knife to loosen edges. Invert cake, gently but firmly tap and remove the cake.
- Note: Use any drizzle or frosting you like, or simply sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. I used melted chocolate for my drizzle. Cake keeps well if covered airtight at room temp.