This Apple Streusel Coffee Cake only uses one bowl. You get to dump all the cake ingredients together, without the fuss of wet/dry ingredients separately! The streusel topping (separate) is absolutely scrumptious…definitely don’t skip it!
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup salted cold butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Optional Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 TB milk (more or less, depending on thickness desired)
- Make the Topping ahead of time: Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl. Use fingers to work mixture into the texture of clumpy wet sand. Cover and keep chilled.
- Butter a 13×9 in baking pan and preheat oven to 350F, with rack on lower middle position.
- Combine all cake ingredients except apples in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix at medium speed, stopping to scrape a few times, just until mixture is combined. Don’t over mix. Use a rubber spatula to fold in apples. Batter will be thick. Spread batter into prepared baking pan, evening out the top and corners. Sprinkle topping over the batter evenly.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake portion (not crumble/cracked portions, which will remain wet due to melted butter) comes out clean. A few tender crumbs attached to toothpick is perfect. Do not over-bake. (If topping browns too quickly during baking, cover loosely with foil.)
- If desired, make drizzle by combining powder sugar with milk and whisking until combined. Add more sugar or milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.