This vegan chocolate cake is the easiest recipe, with only one bowl used for mixing. The chocolate ganache frosting can be easily substituted for your own favorite frosting.
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened real cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups freshly brewed coffee (decaf is fine)
- For the Frosting:
- 5 cups bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 3 cups whole sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- Make the Chocolate Frosting: Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heavy medium saucepan (I use All Clad) over the lowest heat setting. Stir constantly until chocolate is just melted through. Turn heat off and stir in sour cream until mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in powdered sugar and salt, mixing until completely incorporated. Add more sugar if needed. Set frosting aside at room temp and allow it to “firm up” to a good consistency for spreading.
- Make the Cake: Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Line three 8-inch cake pans with parchment on bottom, and grease generously on parchment and sides of pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry cake ingredients, whisking to incorporate well. Add oil, lemon juice, vanilla, and coffee to the same bowl. Stir until just combined. Divide cake batter evenly between the 3 prepared cake pans.
- Bake 17-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out almost clean, with a few tiny moist crumbs attached. Top should spring back gently when pressed. Cool cakes in pans to room temp. Carefully remove cooled cakes and frost as desired.
- Category: dessert