This Easy Tex Mex Quinoa dish is perfect as a main dish (add chicken or shrimp if desired) or as a side dish for Mexican night! It’s a quick one-pan recipe that fits your busy schedule weeknights or weekends alike.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained well in a fine mesh sieve
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- A bit less than 1 1/2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen or canned (drained)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- lime wedges for sprinkling
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add oil. Cook onion and garlic just until tender. Add quinoa and red bell pepper to the pan. Add the broth (between 1 1/3 and 1 1/2 cups).
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer. Simmer until broth is fully absorbed, 22 minutes. Do not lift cover during cooking.
- Stir in corn kernels and black beans, cover, and continue to simmer 5 more minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro. Add more kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime juice to taste, and serve.
- Category: main, side