This One-Pot Beef Stew requires just one pot. It’s a comforting, delicious meal any day of the week. Healthy and satisfying.
- 2.5 lbs beef chuck roast, partially trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut int 1-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (a good one you’d like to drink with dinner)
- 2 TB flour
- 4 cups good quality regular strength beef broth
- 1 TB sugar
- 12 oz baby potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 TB whole grain mustard
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Towel dry beef pieces to remove all excess moisture. Sprinkle liberally with pepper throughout. Heat oil in large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, working in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pieces (they won’t brown if overcrowded.) Transfer beef to a plate.
- Add a bit of broth to pot to loosen and scrape brown bits from bottom. Add carrots, celery, and onions and stir until softened, 5 min. Add garlic, stirring 1 minute. Add red wine; bring to simmer and simmer until liquid is halfway evaporated, about 4 minutes, stirring to loosen bottom bits.
- Quickly whisk together the flour and all broth; add to the pot with sugar. Add back the browned beef and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook up to 2 hours or until beef is fork tender. Add the potatoes and mustard during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Taste and season with salt/pepper if needed. Serve warm, garnished with parsley if desired. Great over rice or with rustic bread. Leftovers are delicious.
For slow cooker: Brown the beef according to recipe instructions prior to adding everything (except potatoes) into slow cooker. Set on low for 8-10 hours, adding potatoes during the final 2-3 hours of cook time to prevent them from getting mushy.
*If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating. Thank you! 🙂
Keywords: Beef stew, beef stew with potatoes