This One Pot Thai Chicken and Rice Dish is quick, easy, and full of scrumptious flavor! Perfect weeknight dinner and meal prep idea.
- 2–3 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 LB boneless/skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 whole red bell pepper OR 1 cup tomatoes (drained, seeded, chopped)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice (Jasmine recommended)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk, from canned (shake well before use)
- 2 TB regular soy sauce
- 2 tsp Asian fish sauce
- 1–2 tsp chili powder, depending on desired heat
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped Thai basil
- Garnishes: lime wedges, roasted chopped peanuts
- In a large nonstick pan, heat oil on medium high heat. Sauté onion until browned and tender. Add garlic and stir 1 more minute. If needed, add a bit more oil. Add chicken and stir 2-3 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned.
- Stir in the bell pepper OR tomatoes, rice, broth, coconut milk, soy sauce, fish sauce, and chili powder. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until moisture is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Gently toss with with Thai basil and serve with lime wedges and peanuts.
This recipe is mild in spice level; if you like more heat, add more chili powder.
Be sure to use canned coconut milk, often found in ethnic aisles of grocery stores. Canned coconut milk is specifically made for cooking. It’s very different from beverage-style coconut milk sold in cartons.
Leftover coconut milk can be stored in airtight container and frozen. After defrosting, place in blender to re-mix into original texture. Use in any recipes or smoothies.
See original article for meal prep ideas and ingredients substitutions.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: main
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian American
Keywords: Thai chicken and rice, Thai chicken, Thai rice, Asian chicken and rice