Get out of a boring dinner rut with this mouthwatering Penne with Sun Dried Tomato Vodka Sauce. Don’t be fooled by its title; this dish is as easy as it gets.
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 12 oz dry penne pasta
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (I use the dry kind. If yours is packed in oil, drain first.)
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain whole yogurt
- Freshly shaved parmesan for topping
- Optional: chopped basil or parsley for garnish
- In a large heavy pot, bring well-salted water to a boil. While you’re waiting, place half of the diced tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vodka and remaining diced tomatoes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cook penne pasta just until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain very well, but don’t rinse. Return drained pasta to pot and toss with 1 TB olive oil. Cover to keep warm.
- In a large skillet, add 2 TB olive oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic; stir 1 minute. Add sun-dried tomatoes, tomato-vodka sauce, sugar, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add yogurt and stir to incorporate, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Pour sauce over the warm pasta in pot, tossing to combine well. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese. If desired, garnish with chopped basil or parsley.
This dish is completely family-friendly. The alcohol content is cooked off and evaporated. You’re left with a complex flavored sauce everyone will love.