These Pumpkin Pasties are sweet, flaky, buttery little hand pies filled with cinnamon spiced pumpkin. They are great for breakfast, snack, or dessert. A bit of drizzle makes them extra magical.
- For the Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 cup salted butter, diced and chilled
- 1/2 cup very cold ice water
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tsp water (egg wash)
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- For the Filling:
- 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin puree, canned or homemade
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 TB granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- For the Glaze/Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 TB whole milk
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- Make the Dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the diced cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, with small chunks of butter still visible. One tablespoon at a time, add ice water to mixture until it holds together. It should stick together when pinched but not feel sticky. Work dough sparingly with cold fingers or pastry cutter, but do not overwork dough. Form 2 dough balls, wrap in plastic, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Make the Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 400F, with rack on middle position. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out one of the chilled dough balls, to 1/8 inch thick, on lightly floured surface. Use a 5-6 inch diameter bowl rim to cut out circles. Re-roll dough as needed to get as many circles out of it as you can.
- Place 2 TB pumpkin filling in center of each circle. Moisten edges with water, fold dough over, and seal tightly. Use fork to crimp edges. Cut slits on top of each one, and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Repeat with remaining dough ball and filling.
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheet for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- To make Drizzle: Combine all glaze ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Place in ziplog bag, cut tiny hole at one corner, and drizzle onto pasties.
These magical hand pies are meant to be drizzled with sweet glaze. If you decide to omit the sweet glaze, you may up the brown sugar in the filling.
- Category: breakfast, dessert