These dinner rolls are much quicker and easier than most dinner roll recipes. Ready in about an hour, these rolls are soft, fluffy, easy, and delicious! They’re golden on the outside and pillow soft on the inside.
- 4 to 4/14 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 TB or (1 1/2 packages) rapid rise (not active rise) yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 4 TB salted butter, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- olive oil for brushing during rise
- 2–3 TB melted butter for brushing after baking
- Preheat oven to 180F. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together 4 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine the water, milk, and butter. Heat in microwave on high until it reaches 115F and butter is melted, a little over 1 minute. Stir.
- Pour butter mixture into the stand mixer bowl. Add lemon juice. Set mixer with hook attachment and mix on low speed 3-4 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add a bit more flour as needed to create a dough that is similar to play-doh. (For me, 4 cups of flour is perfect already) Dough should stick together nicely to form a ball, without being overly sticky nor dry feeling. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and rest 5 minutes. Butter a 13×9 baking dish.
- Roll dough up into a cylinder and cut into 16 equal sized pieces. Keeping dough covered as you work, shape each piece into balls by tucking edges under, pinching them together, and rolling the ball in your palms. Place rolls into buttered baking dish, smooth side up. Turn oven off.
- Lightly brush tops of rolls with olive oil so they keep moist while rising. Cover with plastic wrap. Place rolls in oven and allow to rise for 25 minutes.
- Transfer covered rolls to counter and set oven to 375F. Once oven reaches correct temperature, uncover rolls and bake on center rack for 14-16 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with the melted butter. Serve rolls warm. (If you have leftovers, store them in airtight container at room temp. Cover with damp towel and reheat in microwave upon serving.)
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: bread
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade dinner rolls, easy dinner rolls, easy bread, yeast bread