This Quinoa with Black Beans is a flavorful dish that’s chock full of healthy grains, protein, and southwestern flair! Perfect side or salad for all those get togethers. Vegetarians will adore it. Be sure to rinse and drain well the quinoa before cooking.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained very well to remove as much liquid as possible
- Just under 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained very well
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- lime wedges for sprinkling
- Be sure uncooked quinoa is rinsed thoroughly and drained well to remove all excess water. A fine wire mesh works best.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil. Cook onion and garlic just until tender. Add quinoa to the pan. Add just under 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (between 1 1/3 and 1 1/2 cups).
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer. Simmer until broth is fully absorbed, 22 minutes. Do not lift cover during cooking.
- Stir in corn kernels and black beans, cover, and continue to simmer 5 more minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with freshly squeezed lime juice to taste, and serve.
- Category: side, salad