Red Thai Curry Mussels – big on flavor, yet light and healthy. This is the ideal appetizer for seafood fans. Bonus: this succulent dish is super easy and quick.
- 2 TB salted butter
- 3 TB Chinese rice wine (cooking wine, not sweet)
- 5 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TB freshly chopped/peeled ginger root
- 2 cans (14 oz each) unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 tsp Thai red curry paste (adjust depending on spice level desired)
- 2 TB Asian fish sauce
- Juice of 2 lime wedges, plus extra wedges for garnish
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 lb fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stir together the butter and rice wine until hot. Add garlic and ginger, stirring 1 minute. Add all remaining ingredients except for mussels. Whisk to combine well and loosen any clumps.
- Add mussels and bring liquid to a simmer; cover and simmer about 5 minutes or just until mussels have opened; watch carefully and don’t overcook. As soon as mussels have opened up, transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with extra lime wedges and fresh cilantro. Serve with plenty of rustic bread.