This sausage and apple stuffing is the winner, out of all the ones we’ve tested. It is highly aromatic and flavorful. Slightly crisp on the outside, tender on the inside. It just might be everyone’s favorite side dish this year!
- 1 lb seasoned ground sausage (no casings)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 tsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 3 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 cups wheat bread, cubed
- 2 1/4 cups white bread*, cubed
- 1 firm apple, peeled and chopped (granny smith, fuji, or honeycrisp work well)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup parsley, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 TB melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish, or one of similar size. Set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage and onions together over medium heat. Stir and break up lumps evenly, until fully cooked through. Add sage, rosemary, and thyme, and stir another 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine all bread cubes and place in single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake about 6 minutes, or until cubes are evenly toasted.
- In a large bowl, combine and toss together the toasted bread cubes, cooked sausage mixture, and all remaining ingredients except for chicken stock. Add 1 cup of chicken stock, and toss. Depending on desired moistness, add up to another 1/2 cup and toss again.
- Place stuffing mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake 30 minutes covered. Stir once or twice during the middle of baking, and add more broth if stuffing looks dry. Uncover, and bake another 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Note: Stuffing can be assembled the night before, up to the point of adding broth. Add the broth only when ready to bake.
You can use entirely wheat or white bread, if preferred. If opting for all-white bread only, choose a loaf with more robust texture.
For a meatless version, simply omit the sausage. You can also opt for vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth.
If you prefer a texture more similar to stuffing that’s been cooked in a turkey, add a bit more broth until it’s to your liking. (See note in original article.)
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating 🙂 ♡
Keywords: sausage and apple stuffing recipe