These Savory Cheddar and Chive Scones are supremely fluffy and tender; not dry at all. They’re teeming with the delicious flavors of sharp cheddar cheese and chives. Perfect addition to your next brunch menu.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 TB baking powder
- 5 TB very cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup freshly-grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese, lightly packed
- 2 TB freshly chopped chives
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 rounded TB Dijon mustard
- For egg wash: 1 egg, beaten, in small bowl
- Preheat oven to 375F with rack on lower middle position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or silicone liner and set aside.
- In a bowl, which together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Using clean fingers, work in cold pieces of butter into the dough to make a crumbly mixture. Work in the shredded cheese and chives lightly, just to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and mustard until incorporated. Stir wet mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring just until dough is fully combined and a bit sticky; don’t over-mix.
- Flour a large board and roll out the dough into approx 20″ x 4″ rectangle. Cut rectangle into even squares, and then cut each square in half to make triangles (alternatively, you can cut the rectangle into whatever shapes you like, as long as dough is of even thickness) brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt on top.
- Place scones on lined baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Bake 13-15 min for smaller scones or 20-23 minutes for larger scones, just until lightly golden brown on top. Serve warm for best results. Can also be stored airtight at room temp for 24 hours.