These are the BEST, most melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies we’ve ever had! They take only 3 ingredients to make! Chocolate is optional, but nobody will complain if you include it.
- 2 cups butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- Semi-sweet chocolate for dipping, optional
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and brown sugar. Using paddle attachment, mix until fluffy and light. Add 3 1/2 cups of the flour and mix until combined.
- On a large board, sprinkle 1/2 cup flour. Knead dough by hand for 5 minutes, adding the remaining 1/2 cup flour as needed to make a soft dough. The dough should end up soft and pliable, yet not sticky. You may or may not need to use up all the flour, depending on how your dough feels.
- Form a ball, wrap tightly, and chill for about 30 minutes. Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Either cut into 3×1 rectangular strips, triangles, or use cookie cutter for shapes. Place each cookie 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Poke cookies with fork to design.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. If your shapes are smaller, bake less time. Bake longer for bigger shapes.
- Cool completely on wire rack. If desired, melt chocolate and drizzle or dip to your heart’s content!
- Category: dessert, cookies