This Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is perfect for busy weekdays when you want an easy, delicious, Indian-inspired meal. Toss it all into your Crock Pot and enjoy.
- 2 1/2 cups plain, whole yogurt, divided
- 12 oz canned tomato paste
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 TB olive oil
- 3 TB garam masala
- 2 TB fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 TB ground cumin
- 1 TB sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2–3 tsp ground chili powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Garnish: freshly chopped cilantro
- Reserve 1 cup of the yogurt and set aside. Place all remaining ingredients, except for the chicken, into the slow cooker. Stir to combine mixture well. Towel-dry all chicken pieces and add them to the mixture in slow cooker. Cover tightly and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- When done cooking, gently stir in reserved 1 cup of yogurt. Serve over basmati rice and garnish with cilantro. Delicious with naan bread as well.
The slow-cooker version requires more tomato taste than typical, as the thickness is needed for slow cooking texture. For our authentic Chicken Tikka Masala method, see this recipe. Slow cooker can be fully prepared, up to point of cooking, the night before. Simply turn on slow cooker in the morning for a meal that’s ready when you get home from work.