This Slow Cooker Roast Chicken is even better than store bought rotisserie chickens! It’s fall-off-the-bone tender, juicy, and supremely flavorful. The seasoning is spectacular. Serve chicken with rice or potatoes, and enjoy the sauce! (Note: For best results, allow chicken to sit in seasoning overnight. I simply prepare the entire thing overnight and turn crock pot on the next day!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large (5-6 lbs) roasting chicken
- 4 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place chopped onion on bottom slow cooker. Remove giblets from chicken and towel dry it very well, both inside and out. Using your fingers, gently pry the skin away from the chicken all around, so you’ll be able to season chicken underneath skin.
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices, from salt to black pepper. Mix well. Use your hands to evenly spread two-thirds of the spice mixture onto chicken, underneath the skin. Be sure to include all areas of chicken (legs, back, thighs, etc.) Use remaining spice mixture to spread on top of skin. Place seasoned chicken on top of chopped onion in slow cooker. Cover and keep chilled overnight.
- When ready to cook, turn slow cooker on Low for 5-6 hours only. Keep on warm until ready to serve.
- Note: If you’re using a smaller chicken, adjust for less salt. This dish is delicious over fluffy rice or potatoes.
- Category: dinner, main