This slow cooker recipe results in superbly tender, juicy, and succulent pulled chicken with just the right amount of smoky flavor.
- 4 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs (breasts can be mixed with thighs, but thighs turn out more tender)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt (fine)
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 TB packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 TB worcestershire sauce
- 2+ cups Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ Sauce (my favorite choice; brand of sauce matters!)
- 1 – 1.5 TB liquid smoke
- Buns or sandwich rolls to serve
- Pickles to serve
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a bowl. Mix sauce ingredients well. Sauce can be made well ahead of time and kept in fridge. Thoroughly dry chicken pieces with paper towels. Combine chicken with sauce and place in slow cooker.
- Cook on high about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker with tongs. Keep slow cooker lid on and keep sauce warm. Pull chicken apart/shred with forks. Return shredded chicken into slow cooker. Toss well to make sure chicken is fully coated in sauce. At this point, add bit more BBQ sauce if needed. Cook on high another 30-45 minutes. Turn down to warm setting, and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Toast buns or sandwich rolls and serve with pickles, if desired.