This honey cornbread is tender and moist, while slightly crisp on the exterior, thanks to the cast iron skillet! Simply amazing fresh out of the oven. Perfect with chili, soups, stews, or BBQ!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 6 TB salted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup real honey
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- additional butter for drizzling or serving
- Preheat oven to 375F, with rack on lower-middle position. Grease your cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk together well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, honey, and vanilla. Gently fold wet and dry ingredients together until just incorporated; do not over-mix or over work the batter.
- Pour batter into greased cast iron skillet and bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown (bake time will depend on size of your skillet.) If top browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil and continue baking. Be sure to start checking for doneness after 20 minutes. Cornbread is done when toothpick inserted in center has a couple of tender crumbs attached to it. Not completely clean, or it might turn out dry.
- Drizzle melted butter over the top, allowing it to soak into the cornbread, and serve while warm. Or serve with pats of softened butter on top.
- * For muffins, bake 13-15 minutes in lined muffin tins, just until toothpick comes out with tender crumbs attached.
If you enjoyed this skillet cornbread, please come back and give it a review 🙂
Keywords: sweet honey cornbread, skillet cornbread