- 5 lb red-skinned sweet potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 3 T pure maple syrup
- 2 T vanilla extract
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp table salt
- For Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix together brown sugar, chopped pecans, and cold butter in a small bowl until mixture is grainy and comes together. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Wrap each sweet potato in foil and bake at 400F for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are easily pierced by fork and very soft. Actual bake time depends on size of potatoes. Let cool enough to handle. Remove sweet potato skins, and mash potatoes well in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt. Mix in the mashed sweet potatoes until smooth and incorporated. Transfer sweet potato mixture to a buttered 9×13 dish. At this point, you can wrap tightly with cling wrap and put in fridge until ready to use.
- Sprinkle pecan topping evenly over casserole. Bake at 350F until casserole is set and topping bubbles. About 1 hour. Serve warm, and enjoy!
*I always choose to cook sweet potatoes in the oven because I really like the deep roasted flavor it creates. You can also cook peeled, cubed potatoes in boiling water until very tender.
* If you want, you can make extra crumble topping, for a thicker layer of crunch on top. Up to you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: Side
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet Potato Casserole, Pecan Streusel