Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole
It’s taken me 8 winters in Minneapolis to finally proclaim that I can hang with the polar bears around here:
1. We count years here by the number of winters one has endured. The more winters you’ve got under your belt, the more badges of honor.
2. Polar bears are really humans who throw their heads back and laugh in the face of extremely brutal temps.
I will probably never crack a smile about winter, but I can finally say I’m officially Minnesotan: for the first time in my real and imagined life, I went for a two hour run in -12F actual temp (-24F with windchill and definite peer pressure.)
Admittedly, the spread of brunch food after our frigid group run made the day so. much. better. There were plenty of healthy grain bagels, GF and sugar free granola, fresh fruit, egg bakes, and healthy breakfast casseroles.
Speaking of healthy breakfast casseroles, check this irresistible Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole…
Healthy Breakfast Casserole that lets you eat potatoes and sausage (and sleep in)
We’re looking at loads of goodness in one single breakfast casserole:
- Plenty of golden roasted sweet potatoes for energy
- No added sugars, dairy, or gluten
- Kale and sweet pepper for antioxidants
- Eggs and sausage for protein and pure flavor
Even if you’re like myself and don’t follow any specific food plan, you’ll still 200% fall in love with this delectable breakfast casserole. It’s teeming with all the hearty flavor that makes your taste buds and belly oh-so-happy.
All this morning magic comes together easily and quickly; the majority of this egg bake can even be prepped the night before so that all you have to do post-snooze is to pop this delicious Whole30 recipe (paleo recipe) in the oven and bake.
My favorite hot breakfast routine: Wake ‘n Bake.
See This Recipe in Action:
Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This Sweet Potato Sausage Breakfast Casserole is standout delicious. It also happens to be an easy Whole30 and Paleo recipe that contains zero gluten and dairy. Healthy and unbelievably tasty!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
Yield: 16 1x
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of your choice (almond, coconut, etc.)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F with rack on lower middle position. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- On a large baking sheet, combine sweet potatoes with 2 TB olive oil, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper; toss to coat well. Bake in a single, even layer for 20 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 TB olive oil on a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and stir 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add peppers and stir 1 more minute. Transfer mixture to prepared 9×13 baking dish.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, cook and break apart sausage with spatula until cooked through. Drain and add to baking dish with veggie mixture. Add roasted sweet potatoes, chopped kale, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper to the mixture in baking dish. Gently toss to combine all ingredients well.
- In a bowl, gently whisk together the eggs and 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk until well combined. Pour evenly over the sausage/potato mixture in baking dish. Bake uncovered about 25-30 minutes or just until eggs are set in center.
Dish can be prepared the night before. Cover tightly and chill. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for up to 1 hour, if baking straight from the fridge.
If you enjoyed this dish, please come back and give it a rating 🙂
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 125.1 mg
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
- Cholesterol: 145 mg
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: breakfast casserole, sweet potato sausage breakfast casserole