This Tabbouleh recipe is fresh, healthy, and flavorful. It just happens to be vegan, which means more people can enjoy. Tabbouleh makes for a deliciously satisfying lunch or side dish.
- 1 cup dry bulgar (sometimes called bulgar wheat)
- 1 3/4 cup regular strength chicken or vegetable broth
- 2–3 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice (amount depending on taste)
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped seedless cucumbers
- 1/2 cup chopped grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped mint, packed
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped green onion or chives, packed kosher (coarse) salt and black pepper to taste
- Add dry bulgar and broth to a medium saucepan. Bring to boil and immediately lower to simmer. Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer for 10 min. Turn heat off, leaving lid on for another 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool to room temp*
- Transfer cooled bulgar to serving bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic powder. Stir to incorporate. Add remaining ingredients and gently stir just until combined. Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Let sit for 1-2 hours before serving, for best flavor.
*Tip: for faster cooling, transfer cooked bulgar to a large shallow dish to let cool. *Tabbouleh tastes better after a couple hours, as the flavors meld together with time. It can be served at room temp or chilled.
- Category: salad, appetizer
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean