This Tender Braised Beef Brisket is richly flavorful, succulent, and ultra tender. It can be made ahead of time and tastes even better the next day.
- 3 lb beef brisket
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 TB olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 TB tomato paste
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 6 stalks celery, cut into thick slices
- 1 TB flour
- 1/2 cup regular strength beef broth
- 5 bay leaves
- Optional: freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Pat dry the brisket and evenly season both sides with the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in heavy, oven-proof pot until sizzling. Add onions and stir frequently until softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue stirring 5 more minutes. Turn off heat. Place brisket (fattier side up) on top of onion/garlic mixture. Evenly smear tomato paste over top of brisket. Place carrots and celery all around the edges of brisket. Whisk the flour in the beef broth to dissolve. Pour evenly over brisket. Add bay leaves.
- Cover pot tightly with heavy lid. Braise in pre-heated oven for 3 1/2 hours or until brisket is fork-tender. (For ease of slicing, remove brisket halfway during cook time and transfer just the beef onto a cutting board. Slice across the grain into 1/4 inch slices and return to the pot to finish braising.) Add salt and pepper to taste as needed. Serve with freshly chopped parsley for garnish, if desired.
Brisket is even better the next day. Store leftovers in airtight container in fridge until ready to reheat and serve. Brisket can be made 1 day ahead of time.