These are a mouthwatering spin on the classic sloppy joe. Tex Mex Style! Smoky, complex flavors, yet simple to make. Takes under an hour from start to finish. Perfect for feeding a crowd.
- 2 lbs ground turkey (or beef)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- olive or canola oil for cooking
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, carefully seeded and finely diced (wear gloves)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 TB oregano
- 3 tsp smoked paprika (must be smoked for great flavor)
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
- Toppings: salsa, guacamole, cilantro, jalapenos, queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm up 1-2 TB oil. Add ground meat and sprinkle the surface generously with kosher salt, pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder. Stir to combine well and cook until cooked through. Transfer to another dish and set aside.
- Warm up another 2-3 TB oil in same skillet. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Stir and cook 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, broth, tomato sauce, oregano, paprika, Worcestershire, and ketchup. Stir to combine well. Add the cooked ground meat back in. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and cayenne to taste. Just before serving, add in the lime juice.
- Serve with toppings of choice and corn chips.
- Category: main