This Texas French Toast Bake will knock your morning socks off! Everyone who’s tasted this has wanted the recipe, so we put it here and hope you enjoy it as much as our friends/family all do! Be sure to use a nice, thick, fresh loaf of thickly sliced Texas French Toast bread. (In fresh bread aisles, not frozen.)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 entire loaf (1 lb, 12 oz) Texas Toast fresh sliced bread (Not frozen. Don’t use other breads.)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 2 TB light brown sugar, mixed with 2 tsp cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Real maple syrup for serving, if desired
- Put butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until melted. Add 1 cup brown sugar and stir until well incorporated Pour into bottom of a greased 9×13 pan, spreading mixture evenly.
- Beat eggs, milk, and vanilla until incorporated. Set aside.
- Lay a single layer of Texas Toast in pan, cutting pieces to fit if needed. Spoon 1 cup of egg mixture evenly over bread. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Repeat with second layer, using up the rest of egg mixture over that layer, and ending with a sprinkling of brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Try to get the custard evenly soaked into the bread slices.
- Cover tightly and chill overnight in fridge.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes on lower middle rack — covered for the first 30 minutes, and uncovered after that. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Be sure to scrape up all the bottom sticky goodness. If desired, serve with pure maple syrup.
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: French Toast Casserole, French Toast Bake