A warm bowl of Thai Green Curry Noodles is an irresistible change of pace from the usual chicken soup. It’s utterly delicious and slurp-worthy.
- 4 TB cooking oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TB fresh ginger, grated
- 3 stalks lemongrass, inner white parts only, thinly sliced
- 8 TB green curry paste
- 2 cans (14 oz each) Asian coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 cups regular, high quality chicken broth
- 6 TB Asian fish sauce
- 2 TB palm sugar (brown sugar can be subbed if needed, but palm sugar is best)
- 2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs or breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 8 lime leaves, sliced OR zest of 1 large lime
- 8 oz can of sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- ¼ cup Thai basil leaves, shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lb wide Thai rice noodles, dry
- Optional: 1-2 chilies, seeded and sliced, if you like heat
- Garnish: lime wedges
- In a deep large pan or pot, add the cooking oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion, stirring until soft (2-3 min) Add ginger, lemongrass, curry paste, and optional chilies. Stir fry 30 seconds. Add coconut milk and chicken broth. Add fish sauce, palm sugar, and lime juice. Stir to combine; at this point, the flavor should be a nice balance of tangy, sweet, spicy, and salty. If needed, season with additional sugar, fish sauce, or lime to adjust the balance of flavors. (Dish can be made 1 day ahead up to this point. Flavors will meld and become much more concentrated the next day.)
- Add chicken, lime leaves (or zest,) bamboo shoots, and red bell peppers, stirring well. If using them, add chilies. Bring liquid to a boil and immediately reduce to medium-low for a low boil. Simmer 5-10 min. uncovered, or just until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Don’t overcook the chicken.
- Turn heat off. Add basil and cilantro, stirring to combine. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and divide into individual bowls. Ladle on the warm chicken curry and serve immediately. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
- Category: dinner, main
- Cuisine: Asian