There’s no better way to cap off the summer than sharing the best Key Lime Pie with your favorite people. This Key Lime Pie is smooth, creamy, and jaw-dropping delicious. Bonus: You only need 5 ingredients to make this pie!
For the Crust:
- 1 2/3 cups freshly ground graham cracker crumbs
- 6 TB salted butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cans (from 14oz cans) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, plus zest of 2 limes
- 4 large egg yolks
For the Whipped Cream (optional):
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 3 heaping TB powdered sugar
- Make the Crust: Preheat oven to 350F, with rack on lower-middle position. Thoroughly combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until it can hold together. Press evenly and firmly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake 6 minutes, remove from oven (keep oven on) and set aside to cool a bit while you make the filling.
- Make the Filling: combine filling ingredients in a bowl and hand-whisk until mixture is fully incorporated. Gently pour filling into baked crust.
- Bake 20-23 minutes or until center is set. Cool pie completely on wire rack before chilling.
- Optional Whipped Cream: Place the beaters of a hand-mixer and a steel bowl in freezer for a few minutes, to get them really cold. Pour cold heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar into cold bowl, and whip until stiff peaks form (some recipes call for soft peaks, but I’ve found that stiff peaks work best for retaining shape)… don’t worry if it seems a little over-whipped. Transfer whipped cream into a piping bag or frosting tool. Pipe whipped cream along edges and center of pie.
- Cover pie (a second pie pan, inverted over the top works great) and chill until ready to serve.
Be sure to use only freshly squeezed lime juice (not bottled juice)
I make graham cracker crumbs by placing whole crackers into a large ziploc bag, seal it, and roll it out with rolling pin. You can also use a food processor, but be careful not to over-process.
If your pie will be sitting out at room temp for a couple of hours during a party or event, I recommend using this stabilized whipped cream recipe to ensure that the whipped cream keeps its shape. That said, this pie is best chilled.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: key lime pie, easy key lime pie