Your search for the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe ends here. This is hands-down the best pumpkin pie recipe adapted from America’s Test Kitchen. You have to taste it for yourself.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs plus 2 large yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 15-ounce can sweet yams, drained
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 prepared pie crust (homemade preferred)
- Other: Deep dish pie pan
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, and place rimmed baking sheet on the rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk cream, milk, eggs, yolks, and vanilla together; set aside.
- In a large, heavy pan (not nonstick): combine pumpkin puree, yams, sugar, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Bring to low boil over medium heat, 5-7 min. Continue simmering and stirring constantly while mashing yams against sides of pot with a fork until mixture is thick and smooth (10-15 min.)
- Remove pan from heat. Whisk in cream mixture until fully incorporated and smooth without clumps.
- Place prepared pie crust in a deep dish 9-inch pie plate. Flute edges as desired. Remove heated baking sheet from oven; carefully place pie on the preheated baking sheet. Pour the filling into the crust, and bake for 10 minutes at 400° F. Without taking the pie out of the oven, reduce the heat to 300° F, and continue baking until edges of pie are set (instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 175° F), 45-55 minutes longer. The center may look firm but jiggle slightly; it will firm upon cooling. *Actual cook time depends on your specific oven.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool to room temperature and not in the refrigerator to ensure that the filling sets, at least 3 hours depending on room temp. Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature or chilled with whipped cream.
As always, actual cook time depends on your oven.
Be sure to give this pie plenty of time to cool at moderate room temp or chill in fridge to allow it to fully set.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin pie