The Best Vegetarian Chili (Slow-Cooker or Stovetop)
This is hands down the best vegetarian (or vegan) chili we’ve ever devoured, whether by slow-cooker or stovetop. This vegetarian chili can be made in your Crock Pot or simply on the stovetop, your choice. You won’t miss the meat with these big, bold flavors.
Table of contents
The Vegetarian Chili Even Meat Eaters Love
Minnesotans are well acquainted with their chili, as two-thirds of the year around here, the weather calls for some hearty big bowls of chili and honey cornbread muffins.
This robust and hearty vegetarian chili was created because of all my vegetarian family and friends who’ve come over for dinner. They inspire me to create recipes like this vegetarian chili that even meat eaters readily devour. In fact, most eaters (teenagers included) don’t realize this comforting chili is even vegan-approved.
The Best Vegetarian/Vegan Chili
Here’s why we humbly call this The Best Vegetarian Chili Recipe:
- You can use your slow-cooker or stovetop…it’s totally flexible to suit your needs. You’ll find instructions for both stovetop and Crockpot in recipe card below.
- It’s loaded with healthy, lean, nutritious veggies, beans, and veggie burger crumbles (aka the flavorful deal-sealer.) If you don’t prefer to use the veggie burger crumbles, simply add more variety of beans.
- It’s actually a vegan chili, as long as your meatless burger crumbles (and optional vegan cheese) are labeled as such.
- The flavor. This vegetarian chili recipe = big, bold, and scrumptious. So comforting and flavorful!
Even those who typically nosh on Slow Cooker Chili with Beef or Turkey won’t miss the meat with this vegetarian chili. My oft-suspicious teenagers didn’t even notice at all.
The last dinner we made this chili for resulted in an empty crock pot by the end of the night.
Bonus: You can make your vegetarian chili the day/night before, if you enjoy make-ahead meals like I do. The flavor gets even better the next day.
Watch this Recipe in Action
More Chili Variations
- Butternut Squash Chili – this is one of our most popular chili recipes; try it and see why! People love the use of butternut squash.
- Lentil Chili with Black Beans – here’s another vegetarian chili that’s unbelievably flavorful, hearty, and comforting.
- Healthy Chicken Chili in 30 Minutes – this will quickly become a weeknight favorite, as chicken chili is fast and easy.
- Slow Cooker Chili with Black Beans and Corn – this here is our original family favorite chili recipe! It has all the makings for the most requested meal.
- Healthy Fall Pumpkin Chili Recipe – if it’s fall season, then it’s pumpkin time, and here’s your chance to use pumpkin in a deliciously savory meal.
Commonly Asked Questions
This chili is absolutely perfect for meal prep. Make a big batch and keep it covered/chilled in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Loaded with plant protein in the form of black beans, garbanzo beans, and crumbled veggie burgers, each serving of this chili has 13g of protein.
This chili recipe is perfect for meal prep! Grab some meal prep freezer containers and store in fridge for several days, or freeze individual portions for up to a month.
We absolutely recommend serving your chili with Honey Cornbread Muffins (No Refined Sugar) OR Sweet Potato Cornbread.
The Best Vegetarian Chili (Slow-Cooker or Stovetop)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TB oregano
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 14.5 oz fire roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can white beans, drained
- 14 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 14 oz can corn kernels, drained
- 24 oz vegetable burgers, crumbled*
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional Garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese (vegan, if desired), cilantro, avocado, limes
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil until hot. Add onion and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and coriander. Stir to combine, 10 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes with juices, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and broth. Scrape bottom of pot while stirring. Bring chili to a simmer. Simmer covered 20 minutes. Add beans, corn, and vegetable crumbles, stirring to combine well. Bring chili back to a simmer and cook, covered, another 20 minutes. Remove from heat. If desired, add kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm with desired garnishes.
For Slow Cooker
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours. Keep warm until ready to serve. Serve with honey cornbread or sweet corn muffins.
- This chili is even better the next day, so if you can make it the day beforehand, please do. It’s perfect for meal prep.
- If you can use veggie burger crumbles, we highly suggest using those, as it will cut down on prep time.
- If you don’t prefer to use vegetable burger crumbles, substitute with more beans or your choice of grains. This chili is wonderful with these honey cornbread muffins.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram