These cookies are big, thick, and chewy. Plus gooey and buttery. They are just like big, thick bakery style chocolate chip cookies. But now you don’t have to pay a dollar for just one.
- 2 cups plus 2 TB unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 12 TB salted butter, melted and then cooled
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp pure vanila extract
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and both sugars at medium speed until smooth and light, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Beat on medium-low until combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down bowl and beaters intermittently.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix on low speed just until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips just until fully incorporated; don’t over mix. Wrap dough in cling wrap and chill for at least 1 hour (chill longer if needed for dough to be cold; I prefer to chill mine overnight.)
- Preheat oven to 325, with rack on lower middle position. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 1.5 inch balls. Using fingers, pull one dough ball apart into two equal halves. Rotate the halves so their jagged surfaces face up, and rejoin the halves together gently to form a single ball, leaving the top surface jagged and uneven. Repeat with all dough balls.
- Space dough balls about 2 inches apart on parchment lined sheets. Bake just until soft and puffy, about 10-11 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheets, transferring cookies after they are mostly cooled.
*Some readers have had good results without chilling the dough. Since everyone’s kitchen varies in room temperature, we still recommend you chill the dough until it is cold to ensure thick/chewy results.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please come back and give it a rating ♡
- Category: dessert, cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, chewy chocolate chip cookies, bakery style chocolate chip cookies