This White Chicken Chili with Quinoa is hearty, chunky, savory, and has just a bit of kick! Increase or decrease the heat as you like. Quinoa makes this chili so satisfying and healthy.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 TB olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 28-oz good chicken broth
- 2-oz canned chopped green chilies (if you want it spicier, use 4 oz)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) great northern beans, drained
- 8 oz frozen sweet corn kernels
- 3 TB all purpose flour
- salt to taste
- optional: 1/2 tsp cayenne, if you like it spicier
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 semi-ripe avocado, cut into chunks right before serving, for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, over medium high heat, cook the chicken, onion, olive oil, and garlic together until chicken is slightly browned. Stir in the broth, green chilies, cumin, oregano, beans, and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, and add flour, stirring until chili is thickened. Continue to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add cooked quinoa and remove from heat. Keep covered and let sit about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Serve warm with shredded cheese and avocados, if desired.
- * Note: If you prefer a spicier chili, add desired amount of cayenne powder. If you prefer less spice, omit or use less of the green chilies and leave out cayenne.
- Category: dinner, main