Got 30 minutes? That’s all you need to serve up this mouthwatering, all-in-one dinner. This Baked Penne with Sausage and Peppers is a favorite budget-friendly weeknight meal! Everyone loves this one, every time.
Basketball season just ended for my fourth grader. Hubby was a coach for the season, which means it was an especially fun season. With a lot of time commitment.
Now, we’re enjoying a mini break from sports activities. A very mini break, because swim is just around the corner, followed by baseball season… but I’ll take any break we can get.
(By the way, the STILL below-zero arctic weather is not encouraging a desire to go anywhere. Very little motivation to throw on eight layers of clothes to step outside. Just had to throw that in there somehow.)
Admittedly, I used to be one of those cool, savvy, young city gals who knew how I’d one day raise the kids I didn’t yet have. Ok, not sure if I was cool. But I definitely was young, with a mind of my own that knew just how I’d never do this or that with my own kids one day (laughing yet?)
Then three rambunctiously active boys filled my world. And…well, countless plans didn’t quite unfold the way my pre-kid brain expected. In fact, I just had this very conversation with a friend today. We remarked about all the things our idealistic selves had “all planned out” for our someday-family. And we laughed at ourselves – in a good way.
So, yes. Life is busy. There’s work, homework, meetings, and sports. Plural on the latter. Piano lessons to boot. Stories, bedtime prayers, and tickle-times are a must.
Amidst all that, I hear echoes of What are we having for dinner?? I love answering that with simple yet comforting meals that taste like I spent more time on it than I did. This scrumptious Baked Penne with Sausage and Peppers is a perfect example. Easy, quick, and absolutely deee-lish!
Seasoned sausage, lively bell peppers, and a juicy Ragu sauce. Happily tossed with penne pasta, cooked to perfection. All that yum is then topped with as much fresh mozzarella and parmesan cheese as you like, baked to an irresistible melty-ness.
This is one of those favorite weeknight meals that will jump right into regular dinner rotation. Enjoy!Print
This Baked Penne with Sausage and Peppers is done in 30 minutes or less! Easy and ideal for busy weeknights. The savory, sweet, and tangy goodness of this dish makes it a family favorite. Watch them go back for seconds or thirds!
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (or your favorite flavor), sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jar (24 oz) Ragu Old World Style Traditional Pasta Sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz penne pasta, cooked a bit under al dente and drained (not rinsed)
- mozzarella and parmesan cheeses for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F, with rack on upper middle position.
- In a large heavy pot, cook sausage and onions over medium high heat. Stir and cook about 5 minutes, or just until browned and cooked through. Add sliced peppers, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in red pasta sauce and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cooked penne (should be just under al dente, so it won’t overcook in oven.)
- Stir to coat penne well with sauce. Transfer to desired baking dish. Sprinkle with desired amount of cheese over the top.
- Bake about 5-10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted.
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Ragu Recipes
Each jar of Ragu Old World Style Traditional Sauce is made with 11 juicy tomatoes, making it its richest, thickets recipe. Visit facebook.com/ragusauce for additional quick, easy, and delicious recipe ideas. Visit www.ragusweeps.com to enter the Ragu Better and Better Sweepstakes for a chance to win great authentic Italian themed prizes, and a grand prize trip to Venice for a family of four. Visit site for official rules.
This post was sponsored by Ragu, but all opinions are entirely and deliciously my own.
I know you’ve seen this Amazing One Pot Pasta at work on the web. If you haven’t, you’re in for a treat. Here’s my tasty rendition of this fabulous weeknight grub:
More sausage and peppers? Here’s my favorite Chunky Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Sauce. It’s awesome over any and every pasta imaginable:
This has got to be one of my boys’ favorite things that I make. Hearty Sloppy Joes. Easy, quick, and every bite is luscious. Yes, Ma’am.