This Easy Lemon Butter Fish only takes 20 minutes and a handful of ingredients. It’s a delicious and nutritious white fish recipe. Pair with rice and vegetables for a healthy weeknight dinner.
Easy Lemon Butter Fish Recipe
Lemon Butter Fish may be more frequently ordered at restaurants than made at home. It’s not your typical Tuesday night, in-between carpool fare.
But it can be. And it is. This Easy Lemon Butter Fish goes from stovetop to table top in just 20 minutes.
Not that Chicago style deep dish pizza isn’t all fab at 6pm, but Lemon Butter Fish is a nice and light fish recip that makes you feel pretty good about what you had for dinner.
You guys may know we’re wild about seafood here (some of our faves are rounded up at the bottom of this post for you.) But often, those dishes get reserved for the weekends. I don’t even know why, since they’re just as easy as Quick Lemon-Basil Chicken.
So. I’m improving our Tuesday night dinner game with this 20-minute Lemon Butter Fish recipe…
Use tender, flaky, mild flavored white fish fillets
This Easy Lemon Butter Fish is fabulous with any tender, flaky, mild flavored white fish. A firmer white fish works better than soft textured fish. A nice fresh cod, halibut, or mahi mahi would work beautifully. You’ll want 4 good-sized, firm white fish fillets that are about 6 inches long and 1 inch thickness. Definitely look for that 1-inch thickness, as thinner fish fillets don’t cook up as nicely.
Just be sure your fillets are about 1-inch thick, to ensure that nice thick texture. Go for pieces that are about 6″ x 3″ in length and width. We want nice-sized pieces. Besides that, a heavy, large and even-cooking skillet is your kitchen essential. For flipping delicate food like fish, I use an extra wide stainless steel turner with a smooth/narrow edge to get underneath the food and flip it easily.
You likely have the remaining ingredients in your kitchen already:
- 3 TB melted butter (I use salted, but unsalted is fine) — real butter makes a huge difference in flavor
- Juice and zest from 1 medium lemon — avoid bottled lemon juice. If your lemon is on the larger size, use less of it.
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus extra to taste (here’s why we always use kosher salt in our cooking)
- 1 tsp paprika, for a bit of smoky flavor and natural color
- 1 tsp garlic powder; it serves as your weeknight time-saving aromatic
- 1 tsp onion powder, same as above.
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper; always use fresh peppercorns and grind your black pepper fresh. It makes a huge flavor difference.
- 3 TB olive oil; we use olive oil for most of our cooking, which feels healthier to me, as well as works really well with most recipes. We even use it in chocolate cake — ridiculously moist.
- freshly chopped basil or parsley leaves, for garnish and flavor
- extra lemon slices for serving – kind of a vanity thing, but fish always looks prettier with freshly sliced lemon slivers on top 🙂
This isn’t the typical white-wine reduction situation. We’ve designed it for managing the midweek meal crisis, in order to provide the family a dish that’s super easy, quick, and we feel great about.
This Easy Lemon butter Fish is tender, lemony, buttery, and delish for the whole family.
We’re saving pizza night for Friday. 😉