Many of us have favorite go-to pasta sauces. The one I’m sharing today is my all-time, best, most favorite tomato-based pasta sauce that’s a weeknight staple.
Simple, but absolutely uncompromising in flavor.
Because busy weeks leading up to major holidays are all about doable yet yummy meals.
But most weeknights, our lofty supper goal is to fill those hungry peeps with food that’s nutritious, straightforward, and definitely delish. Hungry Ones reaching for seconds always makes me smile.
The virtues of simple comfort food. Ahh…
If you missed it, we just answered dinner’s call with with this easy, cheesy Baked Tortellini Casserole and wonderful Moist, Tender Meatloaf. And I have to bring back this awesomely easy Mexican Chicken Stew, because it’s one of our staples in the fall/winter months.
But now, it’s time to talk pasta sauce.
Blissful red pasta sauce that is hearty, chock-full of veggies, browned sausage, and herbs.
This Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Sauce is beautifully versatile like only a great sauce can be – pour it over any shape or size pasta you desire.
Dip your artisan rosemary bread into it. The results are all the same – scrumptious.
Naturally, you can make it meatless simply by leaving out the sausage and keeping all the glorious veggies.
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Chunky Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- 2 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 large sweet bell peppers or ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 jars tomato-based pasta sauce, 24 oz each your favorite
- 1 TB granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy large pot, heat 2 TB olive oil. Brown ground sausage, stirring and breaking up the meat until cooked through. Transfer to separate bowl and set aside.
- In the same large pot, heat 3 TB olive oil. Add garlic and onion, and saute until translucent. Add in bell peppers, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp black pepper. Continue to cook another minute. Add browned sausage back to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Add 2 jars tomato-based pasta sauce, 1 TB sugar, oregano, and basil. Stir to combine well.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes. If needed, add salt and pepper to taste.
- *Note: Pasta sauce keeps well in airtight container in fridge for several days. Sauce alone may also be frozen if sealed airtight.
Nutrition (per serving)
Source: Chew Out Loud