This Mexican Chicken Stew is one of the easiest, most delicious cool-weather stews that can be put on the table in a jiffy.
If you’re lucky enough to live where it’s still warm mid-fall, don’t tell me.
I’m just jealous that our entire family lives in So. Cal. with their 80F temps, while we saw snow today and will for months to come.
Regardless of the temps, this savory stew hits the spot. It’s goodness all around.
This one is literally a Monday night, throw-it-together tasty grub meal that tastes like you spent hours rather than nimble minutes.
The resulting Mexican Chicken Stew appears like it could have taken substantial elbow grease to pull off, but we home cooks know what really went down.
Despite the ease, this hearty and warming stew is built with real, wholesome goodness.
Just good ol’ fashioned herbs, tomatoes, chicken, and any nutritious add-ins your palate craves.
This Easy Mexican Chicken stew is a fabulous way to use all the deliciousness of leftover rotisserie chicken. The tender shredded rotisserie chicken imparts complex savory flavors to the stew.
I love diverse ways of cooking with plump, flavorful store-bought rotisserie chicken when I’m pressed for time.
Alternatively, you can quickly boil up some chicken in salty water and then shred.
The avocados are creamy and toothsome in this aromatic stew. Just be sure to reserve the avocado until the last minute, to keep it from cooking down.
Leftovers reheat beautifully. It’s okay to get out the big pot.
P.P.S. Want more chicken stew recipes? Try my Best Chicken Stew with the rich seasonings and spices of Morocco for something a bit different!
Did you make this?
Please give us a rating and comment below. We love hearing from you!
Easy Mexican Chicken Stew
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 TB dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juices, 28 ounce
- 2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups 32 oz good chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, or boil chicken in salty water and shred
- 1 lime
- 1 large semi-firm avocado
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large, heavy pot, heat up about 4-5 TB olive oil. Saute onions and garlic just until soft and translucent. Add oregano and cumin and cook another minute. Add tomatoes with juices, Worcestershire, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and immediately lower to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add juice of half the lime. Add shredded, cooked chicken. Bring back to simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste. Add more lime as desired.
- Just before serving, cube the avocado and gently stir into stew.
- Serve warm, garnished with cilantro leaves.
- *Note: If you prefer more of a kick, add a bit of cayenne pepper to taste. For variation, add corn or black beans.
Nutrition (per serving)
Source: Chew Out Loud, inspired by Dave Lieberman