This supremely satisfying Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Coconut Stew will leave everyone full and happy. It’s healthy AND delicious comfort food at its best. [It happens to be Whole30, Paleo, and Clean-eating.]
The warmer temps are resulting in the wonky mixture of snow, rain, ice, and half-frozen puddles. All at once and everywhere.
We call 30F very warm in this crazy neck of the woods. Because that’s about 30F warmer than it normally is in January. Why we decided to move here is partly a mystery and a different story for a different time.
Our group sledding plans for the weekend are shot, unless people want to slide down ice. But it’s great for walking The Bulldog and getting him out of his stir-crazy winter plight. I sloshed through freezing puddles with him for four miles, and he still came home with the zoomies. (If you’re like what’s a zoomies? …then consider yourself lucky.)
Our wintry weather medley reminds me of this Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Coconut Stew. This stew is a mixed bag (pot) of deliciousness. Everything fuses together into the most healthy-delicious stew of the season…
An aromatic combination of spices merge together to make all the people super hungry. The aroma wafting through the kitchen calls out your tummy’s name.
Coconut milk and shredded coconut help thicken the stew and give it a satisfying texture.
I adore the sweet potatoes here, as it lends a subtle sweetness to the savory stew.
This beautiful stew happens to be Whole30, Paleo, and clean-eating. But anyone and everyone gobbles this yummy stew up, regardless of those labels.
Here’s to healthy-delicious comfort food all season long.Print
This supremely satisfying Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Coconut Stew will leave everyone full and happy. It’s healthy AND delicious comfort food at its best. It’s also Whole30, Paleo, and Clean.
- For the Spice Mixture:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 TB paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (less if you’re sensitive to spice)
- For the Stew:
- 3 TB coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes and their juices
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, whole coconut milk from a can (shake well)
- 2 cups regular chicken broth
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, towel-dried and cut into bite size pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: chopped cashews, unsweetened coconut flakes (garnishes highly recommended for texture and depth of flavor.)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients of Spice Mixture together until well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a Dutch Oven or large/heavy pot, add 2 TB coconut oil and heat until hot. Add onions and cook/stir over medium heat until softened, 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, continuing to stir another 2 minutes. Add the Spice Mixture that was set aside. Stir well for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes plus their juices and coconut milk. Stir frequently 2-3 minutes. Add broth and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, stirring occasionally; cook until tender, 20 minutes. Taste stew; if needed, add more kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile (while stew is cooking) heat 1 TB coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Place chicken in a single layer in saucepan and let brown for 4 minutes on first side. Flip with tongs for 3 minutes of browning on second side. Do this in 2 batches if needed to avoid overcrowding (if crowded, chicken won’t brown.) Add browned chicken to the hot stew; stir to combine.
- Serve stew with garnishes, over rice or just as is.
Source: Chew Out Loud, inspired by The Kitchn