Asian Sticky Rice can easily be made in a regular stock pot. Use any protein you like, or make it meatless. This sticky rice recipe is flexible and unbelievably delicious.
Cook Asian Sticky Rice in a Pot
If you’ve eaten Asian sticky rice, you know the glories of it. Traditionally, it’s often wrapped and steamed in ti leaves to a soft and savory perfection. Other times, sticky rice is served family-grub-style, straight out of a rice cooker outfitted with big spoons to scoop up all the goodness.
Dim sum restaurants in particular are known for plucking mini trays of sticky rice from their magical cart. Lucky for all of us, we don’t need any enchanted tools to make irresistibly delicious sticky rice at home.
All we need are basic Asian pantry ingredients and our favorite stock pot. This is a no-ti-leaf, totally grub-style sticky rice recipe for all the days.
glutinous “Sweet” rice is Gluten-Free and Doesn’t Taste Sweet
The rice of choice for sticky rice is typically labeled glutinous rice or sweet rice. It may occasionally even be labeled sticky rice. However, it won’t taste like dessert unless you want it to, as it takes on whatever flavor you give it. In this case, we’re going for 100% savory. Also, despite it’s name, glutinous rice contains no gluten.
Variations and ingredient substitutions
- Dried Shitake mushrooms (they’re very different from fresh Shitake) provide a wealth of umami to this dish, but if you can’t source it, feel free to sub with any other mushrooms. You can also omit mushrooms entirely, if you’re not a fan.
- Canola oil, olive oil, or almost any vegetable oil will work
- In a pinch, 1 teaspoon ginger powder can be used in place of the fresh ginger
- White pepper boasts a distinctive fragrance, but black pepper can be used if you can’t find the white variety
- Vegetable broth or beef broth can be used in lieu of chicken broth
- Any ground meat or finely chopped meat can be used in place of the ground turkey; of course, you can make it meatless.
- If you want to skip the meat but still want protein, feel free to top your bowl with roasted sliced almonds or chopped cashews.
- Add veggies to your sticky rice; fresh peas and chopped bell peppers are great choices.
Try Our Super Easy Thai Iced Coffee, Too:
Wild Rice Pilaf – Healthy, Flavorful, and Flexible. Great as a side dish or add protein to make it a meal by itself.
Vietnamese Style Rice – It’s a perfect rice salad for refreshing lunches and light dinners
Chinese Fried Rice – it’s our simply delicious time tested recipe. Use whatever protein you like, and feel free to switch up the veggies.