Humble rice gets a remake with coconut milk, transforming the ordinary to extraordinary! It’s the perfect accompaniment to many tropical and Asian dishes! It couldn’t be easier to bring rice to a deliciously exotic level.
Don’t judge a book by its cover.
Big things come in small packages.
It’s like white rice. Plain and simple. Humble by all accounts.
Until you do a little tweaking and inhale the aroma.
Until you take that first bite, and stare unbelievably at that bowl of simple white rice and realize it’s not at all what you thought it would be…
Being Asian American, I grew up on white rice. Not even the nutty brown rice I adamantly feed my own kiddos. No, I grew up on bowls and bowls of plain old white rice. Every. Single. Day.
I hated it as a kid. But once I left the nest? Ever since that time, I’ve have a soft spot for fluffy soft, perfectly cooked white rice. I could eat it by the spoonful. I did eat it by the spoonful.
I think I know my rice. But this Coconut Rice was a startling discovery for me. I mean, really. How did I manage to go through life without ever tasting this deliciousness??
I made this scrumptious Coconut Rice to go alongside my Pan Seared Mahi Mahi recently. And once everyone downed every last bite on their plate, I knew we were onto something good. I didn’t stop there.
I went on to make this Coconut Rice for the next two weeks straight, and my boys noshed on it eagerly and happily. By the spoonful.
I still generally adhere to whole grains and brown rice because I’m that kind of mama in real life 🙂 But now I always keep a stash of coconut milk in my pantry because Coconut Rice will want to make an appearance on our table more often.
This Coconut Rice is perfectly cooked, soft, and aromatic in flavor! It brings plain rice to a deliciously exotic new level! Just 5 ingredients to this yummy coconut rice.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white jasmine rice
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk, shaken up
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 1/4 cups water
- (Optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, green onions, or macadamia nuts)
- In a heavy pot, combine coconut milk, sugar, 1/2 tsp table salt, and water. Stir on low heat just until sugar dissolves. Add rice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Immediately cover and reduce to simmer. Simmer 25 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Keep covered (no peeking!) and let sit 15 minutes.
- Gently fluff the rice. If there is a bit of coconut foam on top, simply fluff it into the rice. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt to taste, and fluff again. Serve warm.
Source: Chew Out Loud
Here’s our family’s favorite homestyle Fried Rice. Hits the spot, and better than takeout!
If there’s one thing I can count on Hubby and boys devouring, it’s Asian Sticky Rice. You won’t believe how easy it is to whip up a big pot of this at home!
This Asian Honey Mustard Chicken is the perfect main dish to go with Coconut Rice!