Sometimes a good grilled cheese simply calls you. But not just any grilled cheese. We’re dishin’ it up Island style. This Hawaiian Grilled Cheese is the best grilled cheese concoction we’ve had in a long time. Simply ono.
What’s ooey-gooey, cheesy, buttery, a little sweet, yet savory all at once?
I have no idea why it’s taken me this long to spotlight this ono-licious Hawaiian Grilled Cheese. It is a standout grilled cheese, almost too good to be called a sandwich.
The Littles, Hubby, and myself gobbled up one too many of these for lunch one fine day…
A Hawaiian Grilled Cheese hits the spot like no other grilled cheese sandwich can.
Because grilled pineapples. Yeah, that. Plus, that alone brings you to white sand and waves. We can pretend.
Melty cheese upon melty cheese. I use natural honey ham for the protein, but Canadian bacon or Prosciutto would be just as fantastic.
A good, hearty bread is a must if you want to keep all that goodness held together. A hearty bread will also make it way easier to slather on the golden butter.
I sprinkle dried parsley onto the bread for looks. So vain.
Definitely have marinara sauce for dipping. It replicates the flavor of a Hawaiian Pizza dressed up as Grilled Cheese. Trust us on this one – your taste buds will do a happy dance. Or hula.
This Hawaiian Grilled Cheese is easy and outstandingly delish! Perfect for lunch with friends and family. Be sure to use a nice, hearty bread. Grilled pineapples are a must 🙂
- 8 slices hearty sandwich bread
- softened butter for spreading
- 8 slices cheese (muenster, monterey jack, and mozzarella work well)
- 8 slices of canned pineapple
- 8 generously sized thin-sliced honey ham, prosciutto, or Canadian bacon
- dried parsley or basil for sprinkling onto bread
- marinara sauce for dipping
- On a greased grill pan over the stovetop (or outdoor grill) grill pineapple slices on both sides until you get nice grill marks. Set aside.
- Generously slather one side of each slice of bread with butter and sprinkle with dried parsley or basil. Lay each slice buttered side down on a foil-lined or wax-paper lined surface.
- Layer on 4 slices of bread the following: 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices grilled pineapple, and 2 slices of meat. Place remaining 4 slices of bread on top to make 4 sandwiches. Buttered sides should be facing out.
- Place 2 sandwiches buttered-side down on a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat for 1-3 minutes per side or just until both sides are nicely browned and cheese is melty. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce.
Source: Chew Out Loud
Here are a few more of our favorite simple and fabulous lunch (or dinner) sandwiches!
1. We love a good, healthy Turkey and Spinach Panini. With roasted garlic mayo. Fresh off the pan and costs way less than going out to a restaurant!
2. This Egg ‘n Bacon Salad Sandwich is perfect for parties, showers, etc. Make ’em big or do it finger food style.
4. Here’s a twist on the classic chopped chicken salad sandwich. We did it up with curry for a fabulous Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich. Lunch has never been tastier.
5. I first tried an olive-based vegetarian sandwich at a women’s event. It was the first thing to vanish. I simply had to go home and remake this Olive, Bacon, and Cream Cheese Sandwich. Another terrific one for parties and showers.