It’s hard to believe Thanksgiving is just days away. We’ve been grooving to a thankful beat all month long, and soon it’ll be time to sit around our table with the blessing of good friends.
The grocery stores were not only teeming with their usual Sunday afternoon crowds, but they were overflowing with shoppers stocking up for Turkey Day.
In general, I don’t go shopping on Sunday afternoons, so I can avoid the sea of shopping carts, long lines, and emptying shelves. But like everyone else, I had to get my pantry and fridge prepared for the big day.
In typical fashion, we tossed a 22 lb turkey into our shopping cart this year. Every year, I forage for the biggest birds. Sure, we do the plump turkeys because of all the guests we host, but the inside track is that we love a bit of leftover turkey.
Why go through the painstaking effort of brining a turkey and baking it to perfection, if there isn’t going to be any leftovers to enjoy?
Which brings us to this delicious twist on a classic turkey/chicken salad…
Curry gives so many dishes that extra lift that takes it over-the-top delish. Use yellow curry, as it is milder and works well for this salad-sandwich recipe. Reddish curries tend to have more heat.
This turkey/chicken salad sandwich utilizes either turkey or chicken interchangeably, so go with what you have on hand.
This tasty recipe will easily help you use up leftover turkey or chicken with a unique spin, transforming leftovers into something decidedly brand new.
Freshly cooked chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken, which is especially yummy in this salad, can be used year-round in this versatile recipe. This hearty salad can easily be made ahead and kept chilled until you’re ready to spread it into your favorite sandwich bread.
This curried chicken or turkey salad is made healthy with a hit of Greek yogurt that replaces half the mayo. Honey, mango, and raisins give the salad a welcoming sweetness. Roasted cashews contribute a wonderful crunch for texture.
Pile this yummy chicken or turkey salad into a big, flaky croissant for a most extraordinary make-ahead sandwich.
Curried Chicken or Turkey Salad
- 1.5 lbs skinless/boneless chicken or turkey breast, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup plain, unsweetened whole Greek yogurt
- ½ cup real mayonnaise
- 5 tsp yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp pure honey
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe, semi-firm mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup salted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- In a bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, honey, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Add cooked/chopped chicken or turkey, onion, mango, and raisins. Carefully stir to combine well. Season with additional salt or pepper, to taste.
- Keep covered and chilled. Let salad rest at room temp at least 30 minutes before serving. Just before serving, gently stir in chopped cashews. Serve on your favorite sandwich bread.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud, adapted from Gourmet
More Curried Yumminess:
The BEST Chicken Tikka Masala