We’re eating like the weather. Some days are cool and crisp, warranting the best pumpkin bread ever. Some days are still beautiful and sunny, deserving of summer’s every last hurrah. Because in exactly two days, the calendar makes fall official and there will be no turning back.
Until then, we’re munching on these super-fab Maui Chicken Tacos. So, so, soooo good, y’all.
With fearlessly scrumptious flavors like this, the current season is a mere technicality. These tacos are so tasty, I’ll probably be dishing them up while wearing leg warmers in the winter.
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
I don’t yet own leg warmers.
These Maui Chicken Tacos are loaded with juicy, tender chicken that’s marinated overnight in some kind of wonderful.
Give it that overnight soak. The chicken will reward you. And don’t skimp on the Hawaiian style salsa. It makes the meal what it is. It’s also awesome enough to chip ‘n dip with.
Do this thing soon. You’ll be surrounded by happy flavors and plenty of fist bumps from your peeps 👊🏼
All year long. Whether you’re rocking summer ‘flops, fall booties, or…winter leg warmers.
Dish up these irresistible Maui Chicken Tacos.
Maui Chicken Tacos
For the Marinated Chicken:
- 2-3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs (or tenderloins)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece about 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- ½ cup regular strength soy sauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB Asian sesame oil
- table salt
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish, lime slices for garnish, and soft corn tortillas
- Make the Chicken: In a large bowl, whisk together the onion, garlic, ginger, pineapple juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and Asian sesame oil. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and marinade is well incorporated.
- Use paper towels to thoroughly pat-dry the chicken pieces. Place chicken in a single layer on a cutting board, place a sheet of cling wrap over the chicken, and pound to an even thickness. Throw out cling wrap. Use a fork to pierce chicken pieces throughout. Lightly sprinkle chicken thighs on both sides with table salt. Toss chicken in bowl of marinade to coat well. Cover and chill overnight, or up to 2 nights. Be sure to turn chicken pieces over halfway through, if all pieces aren't completely immersed in marinade.
- Make the Hawaiian Salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl, toss well, and let chill until ready to use.
- To Serve: Grease and heat outdoor grill (or indoor grill pan) to medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade and grill (basting with marinade as desired) just until center is no longer pink, taking care not to over-cook. Discard marinade. Let chicken rest 5 minutes, then slice.
- Serve chicken and salsa with soft corn tortillas, garnished as desired.
Did you make this?
Leave a comment below and tag @chewoutloud on Instagram
Source: Chew Out Loud
Terrific Tacos ‘n More
- Fish Tacos, San Diego Style. The pics need re-shooting and one day I’ll get around to it, but these original fish tacos are still the best we’ve ever served.
- 30-Minute Healthy Taco Casserole. It’s like a deconstructed taco, but easier.
- Weeknight Taco Pockets. Way, way better than any store-bought pockets. 😉