I was never a big fan of health nuts like brussels sprouts and butternut squash. Until one day when I grew up and realized roasted vegetables are gloriously yummy.
Our Littles are clearly smarter than I was. They get the roasted veggie thing; the Littlest Little even begs for brussels sprouts out of the blue. Really.
For awhile I absentmindedly left brussels sprouts off my greens radar. That boy hounded me every day until I started remembering to throw brussels in my cart from now on and forever more.
I make no promises that this Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash will turn chicken-nugget-only bambinos into vegetable lovers.
But I will say this is a shockingly easy way to prepare sprouts ‘n squash in a way that tastes incredible.
And ya never know; even those who profess not to be mini-cabbage gobblers might just do a double take with this one…
Slice, dice, toss, and roast to your heart’s content.
Happy sprouting ‘n squashing 😊Print
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash equals the perfect combination. Deep roasted flavors make these healthy veggies irresistible.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
Yield: 4 (as a side dish) 1x
- 1 lb fresh brussels sprouts, stem removed, cut in half
- 2 1/2 cups freshly peeled/cubed (1″cubes) butternut squash
- 5 TB olive oil
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F, with rack on upper middle position.
- On a large baking sheet with rims, toss together all ingredients until vegetables are well coated with seasoning and oil. Roast about 30 minutes, or until nicely browned. (Oven temps vary, so just watch and remove when the vegetables are tender and browned.) If needed, add salt and pepper to taste.
For paleo or whole30, omit brown sugar.
- Category: side
Source: Chew Out Loud